Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Joys of RSS

Have heard some of my friends talk about RSS and how much fun thye can be in an addictive way.

I like the idea of RSS, as it looks like it can be a means of staying in touch with everyday news or a means of keeping up with trends if you have an interest in a hobby or interest. For my feeder sites, I chose the following -
  • Dilbert - love a good laugh
  • Powerhouse picture of the day - wow some great images can be seen from this one
  • ABC - I chose the Just in feeder, as a way of keeping up with the most current news - wanted the AFL but was not available unfortunately
  • Shewgirl blog - it's a mate's blog and I love the way she thinks
  • A beader's blog, but I forget the name - love to be inspired by other people's ideas

I would like to be able to apply a RSS feeder to any Web 2.0 technology that I might be able to create in the future. It would be a way of keeping potential subscribers up to date with what has been added for their interest or information. Further I would like to think that it would be an excellent way for libraries to reach library non-users who may feel that a library may not be relevant in such a technology rich age.

I am awre of some libraries that have used blogs for Readers Advisory or Reference Services, which are brilliant in terms of design and intent. Hope to emulate in some way.

No comments: